My name is Merle Findhammer. I graduated from the BA Graphic Design at ArtEZ University of the Arts, The Netherlands and I am currently following the MA Illustration at Falmouth University (flexible).
My work could be described as autonomous and research-based and focuses mainly on poetic storytelling, exploration and identity. I love working interdisciplinary, therefore my work is both rooted in visual art (illustration, graphic design), audiovisual and performative work (video, voice, soundscaping) and writing (prose, poetry).
Right now I am into spaces, non-places, words, human emotions and disconnection, and how the way abstract shapes evolve.
Want to get in touch? You can reach me at info[at]merlefindhammer.com
- (ONGOING)☰ Start MA Illustration at Falmouth University (online)
- 2021☰ BA Graphic Design, ArtEZ Institute of the Arts (Arnhem) (completed)
☰ ArtEZ Honours Programme "Artistic Translation: Practice Inbetween Territories"
— Visual concept development for short film production "Het Gat" by Laury Hooghuis
— Book design for "Sé, sé, sé", Iris Riemens
— Short story "Rennen voor Farida" published on Notulen van het Onzichtbare
- 2020☰ Double internship at interdisciplinary production house De Nieuwe Oost (production intern) and Wintertuin Literature Festival (design intern)
— Book design for "Morgen ruikt naar tijgers", Francis Nagy
— Cover illustrations for a series of essays by Martijn van Koolwijk, published on Notulen van het Onzichtbare
— Booklet design for theatre show "Patroon" by Ludwig Bindervoet
— Participated in The Big Draw 2020 Drawing Festival
- 2019— Poster design for short film "Under Reconstruction", Laury Hooghuis, screened at Pleintheater (Amsterdam)
— Exhibition "Algorithmic Fitness" at Motel Spatie (Arnhem)
- 2018— Cartographic illustration for YA book "De Zwendelprins", Moon Young Adult
— Poster competition "Reclaim the Streets" (part of selected works), initiated by 3sec.gallery, exhibited at Affiche Gallery (The Hague)
- 2017☰ Start BA Graphic Design, ArtEZ Institute of the Arts (Arnhem)
— Exhibition "Ruimtekoers" (Arnhem)
- 2016☰ Pre-education Art & Design, ArtEZ Institute of the Arts (Arnhem)
☰ Degree in Cambridge English: Proficiency (C2) (completed)